Sunday, May 21, 2006

Remember the spring

When you drink the water, remember the spring.
-- Chinese Proverb

This is very wise. I am sure that most of almost never do.
We may do in some extraordinary circumstances. For instance, when reading a really excellent book, I feel thankful to the author. But I rarely consider all the tremendous work done by many other people: those who work in the book store. The truck driver who drove it around. The printer who made it look nice. Johannes Gutenberg. The publisher who financed it. The editor, who took a chance on it. The typesetter, who made it readable and aesthetic. All the people in the past who worked to make publishing a viable business. All the enthusiastic literature buffs and librarians who made the book business repected and loved.

Not to mention that this goes for every little thing around us: The wonderful huge Apple flat screen before me. The house I'm sitting in. The shirt I'm wearing. Ekcetera, ekcetera, ekcetera.

Perhaps it is more realistic on a more immediate level. Thank the waitress for her help, even when it is not above and beyond. Send thanks to the cook if you liked your meal. If you liked an article, send the author and the editor an email. Remember the spring.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

v

Christopher said...

I appreciate a spring whose water is clean and fresh, pure and immediate.

When I convey my appreciation for the springs most relevant to my moments, we are all better served by them.

If each of us did this, daily, the entire world would come to peace.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the reminder about remembering and gratefulness...