Wednesday, April 26, 2006

A favorite


I have several photos from Copenhagen/Easter that I am very fond of. This one has been catching my eye today sitting on my desktop. It grows on me. It is sort of multi-layered.
If you haven't seen it before, maybe you failed to download the special zipped collection.

By the way, on Mike Johnston's excellent photo blog there has recently been discussions of formats. Mike pointed out how we think we have seen an image when we have seen a small reproduction of it: which is often not true at all. Sometimes an image is totally different in full resolution. Which is true in this case. If you click on it, you get a version which is very large for a web image. It is larger than most computer screens allow today... And yet, on my Apple Cinema Display 30 Inches, the full picture is a totally different story! The textures of the boat and the sand, the faces of the people, the details in the buildings in the background and the distant people... they make it a really different picture.
An interesting point is that when I bought this huge display, I felt that I was merely pampering myself. And have been a little ashamed of such a luxury. But the fact is that without this screen I would never have discovered the qualities of certain of my own images, like this one. I certainly don't print out every likely image in a big size just on the chance that it might be something special!
(If you'd like a high rez version of this picture, mail me.)

3 comments:

Hannah said...

What I like about looking at your photos and the comments is that I'm actually learning to appreciate them beyond, "Oh, that's nice!" And it's all nice and bite sized: I only just realized what's going on. :) Kinda cool, actually.

Hannah said...

P.S. I'm using your very blue picture from the top of a hill from a while back as background. This picture has definite possibilities, but I suspect I'd be too distracted from work by looking at it! :)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

'...is that I'm actually learning to appreciate them beyond, "Oh, that's nice!"'

Thanks, Hannah, great to hear it.