Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Jim Jarmush

Okay, I have just watched Broken Flowers by Jim Jarmush. Several items about it to follow.

Item the first: I found it by looking for more films to see with Tilda Swinton. Being done with it, I suddenly thought: Hey, where was Tilda?! I had to look up the film on IMDb.com to find out who she played! Now that there is an excellent actress.

Item the second: There is a brief but nice nude scene, which is DOMAI-like in that it is very non-sexual, and the girl is just totally relaxed and innocent about it.

Item the third: A camera nerd is one who freeze frames DVDs to see what cameras people use. Jim Jarmush uses a Contax T3. Very nice.

Item the fourth: I enjoyed the movie a lot, but the ending was a letdown. Note to film makers: if you are not going to reveal the mystery in the end, it is cheating to put up a mystery in the first place.

Item the fifth: I like Jarmush' way of interspersing scenes which don't forward the story much, but add depth and time and scenery.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitly agree with item #4. I watched the entire movie, looking for the message or the lesson or "the discovery of the son," and in the end - nothing. He could have done better.

Al

Anonymous said...

"Note to film makers: if you are not going to reveal the mystery in the end, it is cheating to put up a mystery in the first place."

If you think that (and I agree) then you won't like Hidden!