Thursday, February 16, 2006

Telephones

I use email for everything. I'd email my dead grandmother, except she uses AOL.

Sometimes I am contacted by people who insist on calling me on the phone. I've gotten less and less inclined to agree to this, and I just realized why: Of the half-dozen people who have done this and called me in the past couple of years (for very different reasons), almost all of them had these things in common:
1: They wanted me to agree to something.
2: I got nearly nothing out of the call.
3: And worst, they all talked for at least half an hour!
I can answer an email in two minutes. When somebody talks to me on the phone for the better part of an hour, I can't do anything else in that time. In other words, it wastes my time. Oh, I enjoy chatting with friends, and even certain very limited business things are best handled over the phone. But still, see above.
Do you have this experience too?

6 comments:

Canbush said...

I'm with Lee. Email is king.

And I won't waste your time by expanding on that.

Monsieur Beep! said...

Lee, I also used to be reading stories to my foster child. Just when the story was demanding our fantasy, and wanted us to enjoy Robinson on his island, the phone rang.
That's why I installed a switch to shut up the bell thus no longer interrupting our fantasies.
That switch is still in operation.
Happy calling!

Zeppellina said...

Despite being on phone preference lists, my business still recieves a lot of sales calls from call centres around the world, trying to sell something I don`t want, or can`t afford anyway.
I no longer pick up the phone for international calls, or calls from national numbers which aren`t programmed into my phone.

I email a lot these days, in preference to the telephone, and I like Google mail telephone calls because I can be doing something on the computer as well as chatting.

Hoever, I confess, I still like telephone calls from my friends, I still like voice contact. I can hear emotions in voice calls, which sometimes don`t come through on an email.
And the human voice is wonderful to listen to!
And I must confess, Eolake, you have a particularly lovely Danish accent!!!

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yes, so women keep telling me. :)
And here I've been trying to get rid of it.

Zeppellina said...

Oh no...don`t do that....!!!!

Zeppellina said...

Glad to hear you like the Glasgow accent Wonko!!
I once hoped to get rid of my Glasgow accent, but it`s such a strong accent, I gave up trying, and learned to live with it instead.
Your post made me feel better there!