Wednesday, December 14, 2005

The Story of Civilization


I have just (on eBay because for some odd reason it seems to be out of print) bought The Story of Civilization by Will & Ariel Durant. It is eleven volumes.
It'd surprise the heck out of me if I actually ever will have read all eleven volumes. But I'd like to. And at least I'll have an excellent place to look up periods and people as I get interested in them, like Leonardo da Vinci. Will Durant is the best guide. He had such a love of life and respect and understanding for great people.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I bought that set at a Library sale (10+ years ago...) I only use it occasionally for reference or for my kids' homework... but one of my volumes is an "abridged" version which was good reading. I especially like the description of social advancement, and how it is a constant struggle between the wants of the people, the government and the church.

Enjoy!

-Tom

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Was that the "twelvth" volume, Lessons of History? (I have ordered that separately.)

Durant rules.
I recommend The Greatest Minds and Ideas of History. (I have it as an audio book from iTunes.com)

Anonymous said...

I had forgotten about these books; they held a prominent place in my parents' library. I think I'll try and find out where they wound up.