Sunday, November 13, 2005

Just Don't, a story

I was just reminded of my old short-short story Just Don't, which was published in the prestigeous anthology L Ron Hubbard presents Writers of the Future, vol V.
Most of you probably don't know it, so I "reprint" it herewith.
You can find more stories, art, etc on my site.

JUST DON'T
By Eolake Stobblehouse

One fine day on Planet Earth, I was sitting in my own comfortable home in my own comfortable chair in my own comfortable body. And just as I had leisurely turned a page in my book, and was about to leisurely take a sip of my coffee, the doorbell rang.

I raised my body, squinting at the sunshine outside, and went to the door.

Having opened it, I found myself looking at a spaceman. I knew immediately that he was a spaceman from his different looks and his suit.

Now, I was quite dumbfounded. I had a funny feeling in my stomach, and didn't know what to make of the situation. But this spaceman seemed quite as cheerful as any sergeant handling civilians.

He looked up from his clipboard, said, "Follow me, please," and turned around.

I hesitated, looking back into my comfortable home, and then stumbled after him. "Hey," I asked. "What gives? What's happening?"

"Oh," he said, "they are going to give you guys another treatment. Some of you are regaining your memories."

"What memories!?"

"Don't think about it," he said.

The end

4 comments:

Zeppellina said...

Quite excellent, Eolake!

Dragonsbane said...

I had read the story years ago, and liked it: it made an interesting point in just a few paragraphs and left me with a lot to think about

Hannah said...

:applause:

Wonderfully put together little story that says exactly what it wants to without bloating itself with too many unnecessay words.

It turns on a pin without knocking everybody in its environment over, if you get what I mean.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Thank you very much.
I've always cherished brevity and simplicity. And as little work as possible!
Sometimes in school I overdid it.
But in this age, it is often a big advantage.